Home Care Instructions following Periodontal Treatment:
- Expect soreness for 24-48 hrs.
- You can take over-the-counter pain medication for any discomfort you may have. (Tylenol, Ibuprofen 4 X 200 mg as needed)
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water today to help remove the bacteria that is present.
- Avoid eating crunchy, spicy, or hot foods today, i.e.: taco chips, carrots, crispy fried chicken. (It is normal for gums to be swollen).
- Rinse with warm salt water if your gums are sore and tender:
(1 tsp. salt in 1 cup warm water)
- Brush gently today even if your gums are tender to help remove the plaque that has started to reform. Always use gentle fluoridated tartar control toothpaste. Use sensitive toothpaste. It is normal to have some cold sensitivity.
- You don’t need to floss or use any home car aids (i.e. toothpicks) today if there is too much sensitivity. But starting tomorrow, do so each day.
- Follow all our home care instructions exactly as directed. Success of treatment depends directly on the improvement of your oral hygiene.